I am a keen amateur musician and an ex-midwife. I have drawn on my clinical and choral experience in 14 years as a freelance proofreader working on music and medical publications. I work mainly on academic texts but also on popular music material. My area of specialism is choral music, in particular medieval and Renaissance polyphony and song.
Clients include publishing companies, international organisations, and subscription and open access journals.
CIEP grade: Advanced Professional Member
Keywords: academic, choral music, vocal music, music history, contemporary music, polyphony
Instruments: voice, piano
Location: Northumberland, UK
- Publishing Training Centre courses completed: Basic proofreading, Copy-editing, Advanced proofreading
- SfEP/CIEP courses completed: Editing in Word, PDF mark-up, Medical Editing, Grammar and Punctuation
- ABRSM: Grade 8 singing and piano
- I sing with a chamber choir and a six-person consort, both specialising in early music, and a four-person vocal ensemble performing popular music.
- I sang with the BBC Symphony Chorus for several years, and with a London-based group performing all of Bach’s cantatas.
"Philippa May has recently worked on a large, multi-contributory book for us. This was a large and quite complex project on a tight schedule. Philippa's communication made a difficult project much smoother, and the project was delivered on time and to a high standard. We look forward to working together on future projects!"
Cambridge University Press
"Philippa is always a joy to work with! She is reliable, organised, and communicative and I have always been happy with her work. But, most importantly, I regularly receive great feedback on her work from our authors and editors. Thank you Philippa for making my job easier!"