I am an ex-musicology lecturer (latterly at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama) so am happiest working on academic texts. I have worked for a range of academics and PhD students, as well as for publishers and journals, on topics in music history, ethnomusicology, performance studies and music education.
I have fluent German, a good level of French, and basic Spanish and Italian.
CIEP grade: Intermediate Member
Keywords: musicology, ethnomusicology, music performance, music education, music history, academic
Instruments: oboe, piano
Qualifications and/or Experience
- Copyediting 2: Headway, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (UK).
- Essential Proofreading, Publishing Training Centre (UK).
- PhD in Musicology, University of Southampton.
- I am in the copyeditor and proofreader pool for a number of publishers, including Liverpool University Press, Cambridge University Press (via SOAS), Brill, Taylor & Francis and Routledge.
- I have worked on musicology articles and dissertations for students and staff at University College Dublin, the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the Royal Northern College of Music, Goldsmith’s, Bath Spa University and Durham University.
‘Impressive, A*!… I was surprised and impressed with the range and detail of the things you noticed… It was a fussy book and you did it brilliantly.’
[Feedback from production editor on proofreading job]
‘Copy-editor Claire Taylor-Jay’s exacting eye for detail and sensitivity to language ironed out infelicities and corrected numerous mistakes.’
[Author’s published acknowledgement]
‘Many thanks for your amazingly meticulous copyediting. I have not encountered such fine work before.’ [Professor at University of Oxford]